Saturday 4 November 2017

The Cross Roads VIII

It has been a while since they gathered at the Cross Roads.
The silence has grown old and stubbly. 
The overhang of trees shows no signs of leaf or life. 
A shoe lies under a thick mound of dust. 
In the distance I hear the faint whisperings of the Carillon.
Or is it just my imagination? 
The gloom is leaking from my throat.
The desolation is rusting all over the stones. 
I sit and wonder when someone will come to cross at the Cross Roads.
It has been a while.
But not that long a while, for I notice from the dark mouth 
of the cave the Cave-Dweller comes stumbling 
with his hands sheltering his eyes from the fierce sunlight. 
Clearly he has not been outside for days. 
My cheeriness suddenly springs onto its haunches
and runs to greet him with fierce hugging and interminable questions.
“Hang on, darling! Give a man the space to adapt to the light again!”
 I am profusing apologies on him which does 
not improve his state of mind.
“Who is making such a rabble-rousing-fuss up there?” 
I make out the voice of the Loner. 
He is peaking his head from the overhang of trees.
“Why could I not see you under the trees?” I ask with concern falling
like guava pips from my mouth. 
“It happens that a Loner becomes invisible to those who has 
no care for lonesomeness in this world” he retorts quite huffishly.
The Cave-Dweller appearing stronger against the glaring light of day
seems to grow stronger too in cheeky bravado “Oh, do not think that
you can monopolise loneliness Mister Loner. We all have little bits
of forsakeness hiding in our solitary bones. 
Do not take it all on your own shoulders.”
A sudden gust of wind blows over the plains and I notice the dusty shoe.
Knowing what my questions will be, the Loner answers
“No, it is not my shoe, and no, I do not know where the other shoe is.”
The Cave-Dweller showing an uncharacteristic 
interest in the conversation
walks towards the Loner and the overhang of trees 
and lifts a few branches to see more clearly 
what state the space was in. 
“Oeeigh, my cave is a palace compared to this dingy dust hole.”
My ears begin to ring. I feel a heated altercation rapidly on its way.
I turn quietly around and head for the crossing. 
I thought I missed these fellows, but now I just want 
the sweet silence to return.
This time the Carillon rings audibly and relieves my ringing ears.
“For as long as you sit at the Cross Roads, you will not find silence.”
chimes the Carillon. “I have craved it since I was born, but soon realised
I make the biggest clamouring racket on these plains. 
The irony is that no one takes notice of me anymore."
“I still hear you.” I say “It is your ringing that keeps luring me 
back to the Cross Roads.”

No comments:

Post a Comment