Sunday 12 June 2022

Lara Kirsten on piano

I am reminiscing on past concerts. I performed the last concert of my program The Resonating Pulse at the Tatham Gallery. I fondly remember this poem written to me that day by poet Bruce Haynes.

She sat, fingers pulsing the keys
Of a Shigeru Kawai piano
Bathed in the natural light
Of Pietermaritzburg's Tatham Art Gallery
On an October afternoon
Brown hair cascading down her back
With a feral intensity
She told us about playing piano in a sandstorm
In the Tankwa Karoo
At AfrikaBurn
I realised then
That Lara the poet-pianist is
Part landscape
Part human
Some indomitability of spirit
Some surge of will
Some vast dry landscape living through her
Weathered orange rocks and hot sand
And, above it all
A charged electrostatic sky
A promise of rain.

 - Bruce Haynes
October 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment